How people used water in East Quantoxhead

  • A modern map of East Quantoxhead
    A modern map of East Quantoxhead

  • An old map showing all the streams in the parish.
    An old map showing all the streams in the parish.

  • They made fishponds and millponds.
    They made fishponds and millponds. They are blue on the map.

  • Some people still have to cross the stream to get into their front gardens.
    Some people still have to cross the stream to get into their front gardens.

  • Some people still have to cross the stream to get into their front gardens.
    Later, the village got a new system of pipes to bring water from the spring right into the village.

  • At first, people got their water from outside taps.
    At first, people got their water from outside taps. Now water comes to every house.

  • Manor Mill pond
    There were three water mills in East Quantoxhead. This is a very old photo of Manor Mill pond, with the mill building and the miller’s cottage behind it.

  • The mill hasn’t been used since the 1920s.
    The mill hasn’t been used since the 1920s.

  • The mill pond in about 1920…
    People call it the duck pond. You can see why. The mill pond in about 1920…

  • The mill pond in 2005.
    ..and in 2005.